Friday, February 6, 2009

Meeting with Nur: nurturing peace

Journalist Ted Khan Juanite was cleared to use this posting which was then published as "Army's Col. de Leon meets MNLF Chairman Misuari - for nurturing peace" in Mindanao Scoop, Vol XLI, Iligan City, 22 February 2009, pp. 1 & 6.
















A crowd had already gathered to meet Professor Nur Misuari as I arrived at the Sanguila residence in Kauswagan town of Lanao del Norte. As this was within the area of the 104th Infantry Brigade, it was my responsibility to ensure the observance of the prescribed protocols for this gathering. Everything was in order. Musa Sanguila, his nephew, met and guided me through the guests, and informed me that Misuari awaits my arrival.

Face to face with Misuari I said, "Bapa Tuan, it's a pleasure to meet you." I then introduced myself and the officers accompanying me. The February 4 meeting was quite cordial. I took the occasion to explain the role of the military in maintaining peace in the area to allow for conflicting parties to calmly resolve the issues in a civil manner. For his part, he explained that his visit in the area are consultative in nature: to gather inputs in the pursuit of peace.

My key staff officers who were formerly with the MNLF--some of whom were his aides then--but are now with the Philippine Army through the 1996 MNLF Integration Program accompanied me to this meeting. As I presented them to him, he declared, "You can trust them." I responded, "With my life."

Satisfied that I had fulfilled my duties and sensing many are still wanting to talk to him, I requested leave. However, he insisted that I stay for a while. The ensuing discussions deepened my understanding of the man who led the MNLF separatist movement which I fought in my younger days. Surely, his thoughts clarified the issues we confront, and added an insight of how to pursue peace in this area.

As I departed amid the rains, my thoughts were occupied by that brief meeting and how we could achieve and nurture peace. Wassallam.

0 comments:

Post a Comment