Friday, February 20, 2009

Memories of the heart

By stroke of fate, I found myself again posted in the same place--Lanao--for the 3rd time: first as a junior officer in the early 80s, then as battalion commander in 2000, and now as brigade commander. Fond memories of the past easily come by on idle days, as on Valentine’s Day, more so when away from our loved ones.

Far from my loved ones on the “Day of the Hearts” and after 24 years, I finally managed to visit my marital godparents: former Linamon Mayor Albertino and Citsunsicion Macas. Both of them, now in their early 80's, were in high spirits and had just arrived from their separate civic and social activities. Where years ago stood their wooden house, as I can still vividly recall, had already been replaced with concrete structures.

















Over a chocolate cake that I especially made out for them, we reminisced the past as much as we could remember. I obviously had to fill in the events in between since the time I last saw them. As I did, they delighted going-over the pictures of my family and that of my grandson--the same images I had locked in my heart.

In bidding goodbye to give them more time on their own, I was amazed at how they aged gracefully and appeared quite fulfilled. I then realized how time passed so quickly as we get passionately consumed in pursuing our dreams, but missing on the little and pleasant things in life. I walked away with a strange feeling of an intense longing for the company of my own family. Perhaps, indeed, as we grow older, we come to think more of home.

On my way back to camp, I shook myself out of my reverie to focus on what still lays ahead: continuing with life’s journey and drawing inspiration from the many memories kept in my heart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment